Date: 9th May 2023 (Recorded – see button below)
John Doherty, Jeremy White and Catherine Moore presented issues that occupy the boundaries between uncertainty analysis and decision-making/policy-formulation. They discussed some of the problems that beset the making of decisions in an uncertain world. The talks are non-technical; the issues are important. They included:
- Uncertainties in uncertainty;
- Do decision-makers really want to put a number on the risks that they are taking?
- Are decisions really based on risk anyway?
- Can there ever be a guidebook for uncertainty analysis, or is it too subjective?
- Necessary and sufficient conditions for evaluation of uncertainty;
- Linkages between uncertainty analysis and monitoring;
- Modelling as a collective, social process.